(edited) • Agronomy
What is your farms biggest return on investment?
Give me your top 3.
1 grain handling equipment (dryer and bins)
3 FBN membership
Grain bins and dryer
1. Drain Tile
2. H2-A workers
3. Grain Bins
4. FBN Seed Finder
1. Independent agronomist (servi-tech)
2. My team of employees.
3. Niche crops that offer a premium. (Seed corn, plenish soybeans, non GMO ...More
2. GPS/Autosteer (maybe in this era that is a given)
3. Cattle. (Cows and farming complement each other so much IMHO)
I think that depends on where you're at. Where I am it takes a lot of acres to sustain free range cattle so you need a lot of ground and a l...More
1. Grain bins
2. Sprayer/ floater dry fertilizer
1. CS690 Cotton stripper, faster and more efficient, went from 12 people at harvest to 2.
2. 3 well qualified driven employees, instead of...More
1. Knowledge - we set a personal record yield on a field this year using a totally different fertilizer program from last year. The high yie...More
What did you do different with your fertility?
Tile, high speed planter
High speed planters save time but increase in row see spacing which reduces yields. Check your seed spacing vs mph and see if there is a var...More
Tile, Planter, Sprayer
Litter, 4wd Tractors, Vertical Tillage
Top Notch Hired Man
1. Tile drainage
2. Manure application
3. new technologies: Draper header, Precision monitoring, hyd. downforce, etc...
1. Grain bins
3. Corn and bean hybrids that work on our soil.
1. Nitrogen/manure 2. Tile plow 3. Selfpropelled Sprayer
2.Actually having time to run drainage ditches
Hydraulic down pressure
Drainage tile and ditches
Trials and weekly tissue testing
Going into 2019 I'm focusing on
The perfect planter pass...More
Grain marketing professionals
Self propelled sprayer
Autosteer?....I have seen no return on investment on mine..maybe GPS and Mapping
Yep. when farming flat quarters and half sections, auto steer pays every single time. When the wind is blowing and you can't see the end of ...More
1.Barns / Sheds
2.Corn pickers and Gravity Wagons
3.Grain Bagger and Grain Vac
1- Drain tile
2- grain bins
4650 jd I bought 15 years ago. Its pre-emmission. FBN direct.is good. ********** 4245
3 more tile
1- pen and paper
2- labor and agronomists
3. Grain bins/dryer
Tile tile tile
2. Conventional corn
3. The correct market adviser
This year prevent plant(not even close, tile couldn’t save me)most years my two employees of over 25 years who love farming and think of min...More
1 - Self Propelled Sprayer
2 - High Speed Planter
3 - Employees that can operate and repair equipment
1. Pen, paper and calculator
2- Grain Sorghum
3- Sub Surface Drip Irrigation
Would be interested in more information on your drip irrigation
Quality Employees. Grain handling system. Sprayer.
1 drain tile
2 grain storage
We are blessed to have high quality employees that make it possible to all the work done.
1) Grain Storage/Dryer
3) Knowing Cale *******
That’s a good looking mug on a good looking mug!
2- Correct seed varieties
3- Marketing prior to planting
4- Trustworthy custom farmer
Interesting that so many feel like a sprayer is very high on their list. I would be interested to hear why that sprayer brings so much retur...More
My reason was bc the custom application was not getting done timely(losing yield from weed pressure) Also in my area it's only the coops tha...More
For us, it’s more timely to do it ourselves than have someone else come spray it. We will spray 8-21k acres depending on the crop rotation, ...More
Thanks guys after posting I also read the post about sprayer specific ROI and much of the same was mentioned there.
FBN Membership and everything it entails.
fast grain conditioning equipment
Can you Explain your thoughts on alfalfa. Do you sell it all as dry hay? Or putting it through cattle? Renting out some acres to big dairy? ...More
2 Grain Storage
3 Our own sprayer
Honorable mention: FBN
Semi and grain hopper
On farm storage
1. On farm grain storage/dryer
2. Machinery storage
3. Good hired help
1. Quality and happy employees
2. Quality grain broker that works as if it’s his grain/money
3. Quality insurance to cover the risk from al...More
At least one speciality crop
1. Definitely land
2. Hopper bins with airation
3. High clearance Sprayer
Land is an awesome ROI, IF you can make it through that 15-30 year period to pay it off. It's like paying double to triple rate cash rent fo...More
I agree. Renting land has allowed our operation to grow tremendously, while not being held back with large amounts of long term debt.
1 Wife/ Family
2 Regenerative Farming practices saving me significant sums of money, paying less interest on operating notes and showing be...More
Tile and a grain system. Nothing else is even close.
Hiring a market company is close.
Mr anonymous, I think drain tile sucks! Lol. Waiting on a rain in Nebraska!!! Wish I had to put drain tile in some years You can't make it...More
1. Variable Rate on three products single pass
2. Self Propelled Sprayer with a 5k gallon sprayer tender w/ premix chem tanks.
3. Fully outf...More
1. Drying and storing our own crop
2. doing our own service work as much as possible and run older high hour equipment.
doing our own sprayi...More
Sprayer/dry machine if you purchase wholesale cash
2. A good record system to give us our cost of production and returns per acre so we can make better business and marketing decisi...More
I agree with the Roundup comment ...now we are going back in time to those old chemicals that cost 3 times more per acre and need a bigger s...More
She does all the banking ag department paperwork and the rest of the government paperwork and still finds time to launch my boat!!
1) Managing Wheat and Corn in-season nitrogen using N-Rich strips and GreenSeeker ($10-$20 per acre added return in avg year for $15,000 1-t...More
Tile and Lime
After last year nothing wheat was a bust with half of the crop winter killed the other half yielded less than half what it should have, all ...More
Grain bins, sprayer, high speed planter
Grain trading account #1
********** soil sampling, and sprayer.
My response to a sprayer is that many people have their spraying custom done. It’s not considered an essential piece of equipment like a pla...More
Yes, my sprayer has a much higher rate or return that the planter. Being able to go spray on my schedule and not wait my turn in line is hug...More
2. People (employees)
3. Relationships with business partners
1) Drainage, right now all I have is surface but I bought a tile plow this spring.
2) a talented full time mechanic, I haven't had a servic...More
Tile plow. We bought a tile plow probably 20 years ago. To date we have put in 150,000 feet of tile all on our own land and not done yet. Pu...More
1 cover crops, 2 farm storage/shop, 3 self propelled sprayer
Could you explain the positive returns to your cover crops and how quickly do you see the return?
Our hill ground has high erosion potential. We were losing (est.) 2 tons of soil per acre prior to cover crops. With cover crops, more soil ...More
1) NKLA puts
2) ECP from 2018
3) TSLA calls
No serious, this year is a wash. It is terrible. I never knew a year could be so bad
1-Land roller (lots of rocks on this farm)
Good question and discussion! I think it is interesting that the sprayer is mentioned so many times. Often we see operations running large...More
My new rock picker made by ********** (17 ft wide)
I know there’s not a lot of wheat growers in here but a fungicide application on wheat at flag leaf has the biggest ROI in all agricultural....More
1. Improving my personal health-loosing 80 lbs, daily 5 am workouts at the rec center
The greatest asset you will never find on a balanc...More
In Australia a Portable Seedcleaner in the paddock. Getting our grain into a higher segregation has made us a fortune. Sp Boomspray: not w...More
Wheat soybeans and finished steers
Due to drought:
Also: GFY.ag paired with trading accounts.