Verified FBN Member (IA)
Marketing

Piling corn on the ground for a couple months for grain storage thoughts?

I farm in Central Iowa and this fall I was thinking at piling corn on the ground for grain storage until prices rise a little. I was planning on just piling it on the grass. Does anyone have any suggestions on what to do? Should we put a tarp on the ground so moister doesn't get onto the corn and also put a tarp on top?

Verified FBN Member (MO)

I’d mow the grass as short as possible, then we put plastic down for an easier clean up. I’d prefer the temperature fairly cool and we’ve only piled dry grain. Good luck

Verified FBN Member (IA)

Sell the corn in town and by the paper

Verified FBN Member (MO)

If only we’d have sold all grain the end of June and sold the paper.

Verified FBN Member (MN)

Only pile on dry or frozen ground- or create a limestone base. Forget the plastic- it sucks to clean up on. Depending on the size of your pile get some perferated drainage tile and pile on top ( u-shaped it on the bottom), the bigger the pile the bigger the tile. Put some fans on each end of the tile and pull air out. Cover the pile with a silage pile tarp - the suction will help hold it down.(you will also need tires). Get your pile moved before March 1st. If your considering putting it under FSA loan check with them first on regulations.!! Or sell corn and buy it back on paper !!!

Verified FBN Member (IL)

We used to put plastic on the ground first and then put perforated tile the length of the pile. After making the pile we would hook a fan to the tile to suck the top plastic down. We would stop the pile about 3’ shy of the outside of the bottom plastic. We would then put the bottom plastic on the pile before covering the pile with the top plastic and take a road grader and cut a shallow ditch all around the pile throwing the ribbon of dirt up on the plastic to seal the bottom edge. It would really work great it the dirt froze soon after making the pile. The biggest problem we had was cats getting on the pile and poking holes in the plastic

Verified FBN Member (IN)

You could use a bagger maybe rent one if the basis is good sell it and buy it back on the board

Verified FBN Member (ND)

Not a good idea. Sell it and buy the paper. Think of all of the times you've seen rotten piles at commercial elevators. And they have the use of any conceivable type of equipment no matter the cost and a lot of manpower to pick it up in a timely manner. If it starts getting rained on you're toast. And unlike a commercial elevator you probably won't have a steady stream of fresh loads coming in to blend it off.

Verified FBN Member (IA)
(edited)

For extra bushels use a deferred futures price contract. From FBN

Set basis now or when you deliver pick what corn contract month May July or September.

Get paid 70% up front. Then get paid the other 30% +/- any gain or loss when you price the future's. I used this DFP contract last year and it worked great. Best part about this option is no pile no tarp no clean up no damage. Even if you lose money because market drops you still dont have to clean the pile up

Lol! Good luck

Mike

Verified FBN Member (MO)

Build bins /buildings /rent storage /use bags /never pile grain unless it is below freezing and only temporary I mean 30days or less. Sell it back in paper. Gold Luck

Verified FBN Member (IA)

We have put corn in an old concrete bunker silo a few times on concrete and covered with plastic until Jan and it worked well to get improved basis. I would look to find some place with concrete or at least put down 3/4” plywood on the ground to pile on, or consider using temp grain rings inside a building if you have one. Think through your pickup plan before dumping the first bushel....we have used regular loader on an 80 hp tractor pushing into a truck auger with good luck.

Verified FBN Member (ND)

If you don’t tarp it you have to keep deer and coons off it. If it loses it’s cone shape it does not shed water well. I make hay so I put a row of bales around it to act as a fence for the deer at least.

Verified FBN Member (ND)
(edited)

It's fine as long as you keep the cone shape. If you start hauling it you have to haul all of it. water runs off and you get some growth around the edges. I think I read a study once that said you loss about once percent. My dad did it for years. It isn't for long term storage but for a month or two you will be fine.

Welcome! You only have 2 free posts remaining.

Our FBN ® Community Forum is exclusive to . To become a Verified Farmer, sign up for your free account and gain access to our secure online farming community.