Verified FBN Member (NE)
Agronomy

E3 vs Extend soybeans

What is everyone going with for a trait package on soybeans? We are on the fence with these two options, planted the e3 last year and have not planted any extend yet so wanted to hear some opinions.

Verified FBN Member (IA)

I was all in on E3 beans for 2020,but after running combine though them, very disappointed in yeild. So we are doing some E3, GT27LL, and some Extend(more extend than others)

Verified FBN Member (KS)
(edited)

ABoth are very good products chemical wise, but we are going with dicamba as it is a translocating herbicide and kills the root. E3 does not.

Verified FBN Member (NE)

Xtend. All of them.

Verified FBN Member (NE)

We had comaparable yield with both but weed control was better with Xtend. It’s a pain to purge sprayer of dicamba after our pre emerge pass but kill was outstanding.

Verified FBN Member (IA)

We were 90% E3 here in 2019, the other 10% was Extend but treated as just RR. Our all our enlist beans beat the extend beans we had for yield and price. E3 beans have been bred for as long or longer than Extend beans just didn't have the approval. We don't like the risk associated with extend. No special applicator meetings. Near zero drift and volatility, can spray right up to sensitive crops with common sense and watching wind. Spray Enlist, RoundUp, Liberty or any combo of the 3. Decently priced. Can spray later than Extend for any escapes, cleanups, or just if weather didn't cooperate when you intended to spray. Can use cheap 2, 4-d in your burn down program and plant the same day. I will give it I think Extend is a slightly better weed killer but for us, just too many risks associated with it. If you're a big P customer and they are pushing Extend on you just know they are fulfilling a contract to Bayer to have Extend be at least 60% of their portfolio for the next couple years. When that is up it will be like E3 is the best thing ever.

Verified FBN Member (IA)

About 50% E3 , 50% extend in 50% in 2019, logistics of two different traits a pain but doable...we produce seed for big P so the E3, have used extend for 3 yrs...satisfied with both!, as said E3 is less restrictive and more flexible, xtend has more extended chem. activity, yield wise...verdict still out...weather/planting date played more this year than trait yield lag or not. Side note....because of label restrictions in xtend beans we pay better attention to spraying management and have better kills no matter the trait/system. Both work!! One system would be ideal for simplicity sake.

Verified FBN Member (SD)

Have been straight Liberty for 10 years. Tried some E3 in '19 for seed production and the yields were below my average. Going to try some E3 again, about 40%. A little GT27LL. The Liberty's were my best yield again so I am staying with them for the rest.

Verified FBN Member (IA)

The local coop guy said we're starting to get 2,4-D resistant water hemp coming in from Nebraska so he recommends dicamba.

Verified FBN Member (NE)

Been RR forever, went 100% Extend last year and had above average bean yields and great weed control. I'm doing all Extend this year, but have never tried E3 beans.

Welcome! You only have 2 free posts remaining.

Our FBN ® Community Forum is exclusive to . To become a Verified Farmer, sign up for your free account and gain access to our secure online farming community.